There are many Port Everglades car rentals available for those who are arriving and departing from Fort Lauderdale on a cruise. You might be looking forward to a car-free week of no driving as you sail away on your luxury cruise from Port Everglades, but there are many reasons why you might need to book a car rental in Port Everglades.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which we could earn a commission from.
If you fly into Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL) airport, the easiest way to get to the Port Everglades cruise terminals is by shuttle bus or taxi as the journey is less than three miles. Typical prices per trip are:
- Taxi – $17 plus tip (metered)
- Uber/Lyft – $14 for UberX (plus tip)
- GO Airport Shuttle – $26 (tip included)
If you are flying into or out of one of the other airports in the area, such as Miami International Airport (MIA) 29 miles south; Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) 58 miles north; or Orlando International Airport (ORL) 210 miles northwest, car rentals with Port Everglades parking or a one-way car rental could be the best solution.
Many cruisers want to spend a few days exploring Fort Lauderdale before or after their cruise. With no public transport for getting around (apart from the pricey Water Taxi at $28 per day), a car rental from Port Everglades is essential for getting between the cruise port, hotel, shops, Las Olas restaurants, Everglades attractions, and the beach.
Something to be aware of is that most Fort Lauderdale hotels near the beach charge a daily rate for car parking. You might want to check the best Port Everglades hotels for cruise passengers and find one with free parking to avoid unnecessary expense.
Our guide to cheap Port Everglades car rentals will help you find the best and most convenient car rental for your needs and save time and money by getting the best deal. We also offer some useful tips about car rentals in Fort Lauderdale, including information on how to save money with smart car rental insurance, gas, and driver options.
Where to Find the Best Port Everglades Car Rental
One of the best places to pick up car rentals near Port Everglades is from the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport Car Rental Center. Most major car rental companies have a desk or office at this purpose-built location and there is free, dedicated shuttle bus transportation between the Car Rental Center and Airport Arrivals and Departures.
However, most airport-based car rental companies do not offer a complimentary shuttle service to and from Port Everglades.
For free shuttle transportation to and from the cruise port, you should use the car rental offices closer to the port. Other car rental agencies can be found off-site around the airport perimeter or in the city. Many of these provide a courtesy shuttle service to and from Port Everglades cruise terminals.
Low-Cost Car Rentals with Free Shuttle
It’s always worth comparing prices when booking car rentals near Port Everglades. We’ve included the links below so you can quickly enter your required dates, pick-up and drop-off points, and get a quote. You can also phone Port Everglades car rental offices and confirm a price before booking.
Bear in mind that prices vary depending on the type and size of vehicle you choose and the seasonal demand. Prices quoted are for comparison purposes only and are for an economy vehicle for one day in peak season. Prices may change at any time.
Avis – from $28.50
Avis Port Everglades offers a free shuttle to Port Everglades with car rentals from their Pier 66 Hotel and Marina location at 2301 SE 17th St., Fort Lauderdale. Open daily from 8 am to 6 pm with shorter hours on weekends, Avis car rentals has all sizes of cars available from economy to full size, plus SUVs, minivans, convertibles, pickup trucks, premium cars, and passenger vans for up to 15 passengers (from $169.99).
Alamo from $33.00
Alamo car rentals Port Everglades operates daily from 7:30 am to 4 pm and prices include a free shuttle to and from the cruise port. The nearest office to the port is located at 1700 Eller Dr., Fort Lauderdale, about one mile south of the cruise terminals.
Budget – from $27
Located 1.2 miles from Port Everglades at 2520 Miami Rd., Fort Lauderdale and just five minutes from the cruise terminals, Budget has a full car rental service near Port Everglades. Complimentary shuttle buses transfer renters to and from the cruise terminal making it easy to drop off and/or pick-up your Port Everglades car rental.
However, there are no after-hours returns at this address. Budget offers all sizes of car including compact, standard, full size, luxury, SUV, hybrid, premium, coupes, pickups, recreational vehicles, and passenger vans for groups.
Hertz – from $19.18 per day
Hertz car rentals serving Port Everglades are based at 455 SR 84 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. The hotel is 1.3 miles from the cruise port and the journey takes about seven minutes by shuttle bus. Hertz operates daily from 8 am to 6 pm weekdays and 7 am to 3 pm on weekends.
The advantage of the hotel location is that renters can return cars after hours and hand in their car keys at the reception desk. Book ahead and choose the best car for your needs from compact, standard, intermediate, SUV, Jeep, passenger van, and luxury cars.
Dollar/Thrifty – from $24.44 per day
Dollar Thrifty is one of the closest car rentals to Port Everglades, just 1.1 miles away. They are based at offices on 2400 Miami Road. Their Port Everglades car rental service includes a free shuttle to and from the cruise pier which takes about seven minutes.
ACE Rent A Car – from $40.00
ACE Rent A Car offers a shuttle bus transfer to the cruise port for their clients. They run a 24/7 service at their offices at 2330 South Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale which is 1.5 miles from the port. With years of experience, this company promises a fast and efficient pickup and drop off.
Upon docking, cruisers should call 954-764-1008 and arrange for the shuttle to meet them at the pier on disembarkation. ACE offers economy, compact, and full-size cars and minivans for groups (from $55 per day).
Payless – from $14.76
Open daily from 8 am, Payless car rentals is 1.2 miles from Port Everglades at 2520 Miami Rd., Fort Lauderdale. They offer low price car rentals and include a free cruise shuttle service. Available vehicles include economy, compact, midsize, full size, SUV, pickup, luxury, minivan, and 12-seater passenger vans ($92.23) for cruise groups.
Fort Lauderdale Airport Car Rentals
Note these Fort Lauderdale Airport car rental companies do not have shuttle services to Port Everglades. You would need to take a taxi or Uber the short distance to the cruise terminal. Check the Port Everglades car rental sites above for free cruise shuttles.
Budget – from $26.10
Budget Fort Lauderdale Airport is at 600 Terminal Drive on the 4th floor Car Rental Center in the airport. It provides a shuttle between the rental counter and the car lot, but not to and from the port (use their Port Everglades office above).
It operates 24/7 and offers all sizes of car including compact, standard, full size, luxury, SUV, hybrid, premium, coupes, pickups, recreational vehicles, and passenger vans for up to 15 passengers (from $127.20).
Hertz – from $42.86
Hertz FLL is also based at the Fort Lauderdale Airport Car Rental Center at 600 Terminal Drive. Take the airport shuttle to the car center where rentals start at $42.86 per day. Hertz has a huge fleet of vehicles to suit your needs, from compact and standard vehicles to intermediate, SUV, Jeep, passenger vans, and even some dream cars such as Porsches.
Other Rental Options
Fox from $17.02 per day
Fox Rent A Car is located near Fort Lauderdale airport at 3100 SE 6th Ave. They operate a shuttle to the airport but do not have a Port Everglades shuttle for cruisers. They operate 24/7 from their airport location and offer a full range of compact and family-size cars, SUVs, minivans, and luxury vehicles at the lowest prices.
You’ll need to add the cost of a taxi to and from the cruise port, but it could still be the best deal for Port Everglades car rental prices.
Enterprise – from $32.99 per day
Enterprise car rentals in Fort Lauderdale operates from the Hilton Marina at 1881 SE 17th St. but they do not operate a shuttle to and from Port Everglades. They are open Mon-Sat (closed Sundays) from 8:30 am to 3 pm.
Renters will need to take a taxi to Port Everglades cruise terminal which is 1.3 miles away. The journey takes about eight minutes, depending on traffic and the cruise terminal you will be departing from.
Gold Coast Car Rentals from $42.25
Gold Coast Car Rentals are based at 3000 SE 6th Ave., one mile from the airport and two miles from Port Everglades cruise terminals. Operating 24/7, the price includes complimentary shuttle to and from the cruise port. Competitively priced, Gold Coast Car Rentals also offer free pick-ups from local marinas, Fort Lauderdale hotels, and the airport.
Tips for Saving Money Car Rentals
Regardless of where you chose to book car rentals near Port Everglades, there are even more ways you can save money on a rental vehicle.
- Book your Port Everglades car rental ahead of time and save money by paying up-front and taking a “no cancellation” option. This is only a money saver if you are sure you will not need to cancel or change your car rental booking. It’s worth paying a few dollars more to have the penalty-free cancellation option if there is any possibility you may have to cancel.
- Most car rental companies charge a surcharge for one-way car rentals. That means if you are picking up a car rental near Port Everglades cruise terminal and dropping it off at Orlando Airport, for example, the rental company will add a one-way charge to your invoice to cover relocation of the car, if necessary. If you can return the car to the same rental location, you can avoid that fee.
- When you choose multiple named drivers, some car rentals companies charge more for added names. By choosing just one designated driver, you could save money.
- Many car rental companies charge an airport concession surcharge. If you want a car rental in Fort Lauderdale, choose a location that is near the port and not at the airport to get the best rates for cheaper car rentals.
- Don’t be deceived by gas options offered by the car rental company. You need to decide whether you want to return your rental car with a full tank of fuel or not. If you opt to bring the car back without filling up the gas tank, you usually pay more per gallon, or have a service charge added. You can gamble with the “pick-up full – return low” fixed price, but you run the risk of running out of gas on that all-important journey to Port Everglades if you run the tank low. The cheapest and most stress-free option is to bring the car back with a full gas tank. There are plenty of gas stations close to Port Everglades car rental drop-off points, so plan to fill up with gas just before returning the car.
- Paying a voluntary deductible for damage and declining personal accident insurance can significantly lower the price of your Port Everglades cruise port car rental. Check the small print and opt for a different insurance option if you are a safe and confident driver.
- Cheapest Port Everglades car rentals overall – Payless car rentals
- Cheapest Fort Lauderdale Airport car rentals – Budget Fort Lauderdale Airport
- Closest car rentals to Port Everglades cruise terminals – Dollar Thrifty
- Best Port Everglades car rental with free shuttle to the port – Payless car rentals
- Best Port Everglades car rentals for vans – ACE Rent A Car from $55 per day
- Best 24-hour Port Everglades car rentals – Fox car rentals
After following our tips for cheap car renting, you’ll have more money to spend on your cruise. Bon voyage!