Independence of the Seas is back in service and debuted in the UK after her major multi-million makeover during a dry dock where many new features were added and the entire vessel was upgraded.
Independence of the Seas Completes Makeover
On May 12 the Royal Caribbean cruise ship showed off her fresh look for the very first time after completing a major refurbishment. The ship arrived in Southampton, UK showcasing her new features including Sky Pad, an out-of-this-world new virtual reality bungee trampoline experience, and splash away their days at the interactive aqua park, Splashaway Bay, which is bigger and better than ever before.
Managing Director, Royal Caribbean International UK and Ireland, Ben Bouldin said:
“Holiday time is precious, and travellers today have higher expectations and more options than ever before. We don’t just want to meet these expectations, but smash them and redefine how to holiday. From our largest yet hibachi restaurant to a virtual reality bungee trampoline experience, Independence of the Seas is set to be the most spectacular ship sailing out of Southampton this coming season.”
Everything Added to Independence of the Seas
Let’s take a look at everything which has been added in addition to the new Sky Pad feature, a first in the fleet.
- The Perfect Storm, a duo of racing waterslides called Cyclone and Typhoon.
- Glow-in-the-dark laser tag, an experience in Studio B unlike any other, where friends and family can team up to play “Battle for Planet Z”.
- Puzzle Break, a new escape room experience where competitors can put their minds to the test, working together to find hidden clues and solve a series of high-tech riddles to unravel a mystery. With only 60 minutes of play, the excitement builds with each tick of the clock.**
- Breathtakingly beautiful new lounges and Panoramic Oceanview staterooms adds an extra bit of extraordinary to Independence. With stunning wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling views, guests can soak up the feeling of standing on the bridge of the ship and watching the sunset over the coastline, all from the privacy of their own stateroom.
- Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade, enables sports fans to enjoy all the biggest live sporting events over ice-cold beers, wings, sliders and more.
- Izumi Hibachi & Sushi, the exotic Asian-inspired dining experience gives guests the chance to enjoy fresh sushi and experience skilled chefs cooking tableside on teppanyaki grills.
- Fish & Ships, a poolside eatery where guests can grab quintessentially British seaside treats.
- Sugar Beach candy shop, a wondrous world of delicious delights, along with a few exciting surprises.
Independence New Spy Pad Installation
The ship’s first new sailing is departing today (May 15th) which is a 2-day voyage from Southampton to Paris. The Royal Caribbean ship will continue to sail in Europe until November 2018. The newly renovated ship has 15 decks and is 154,407 gross registered tons. She can carry 3,858 guests at double occupancy in 1,929 staterooms.