Fathom, the pioneer in social impact travel and Carnival Corporation’s 10th and newest brand, today shared details of regional cuisine crafted by Fathom’s globally recognized Dominican chef Emil Vega, who leads the development of Fathom’s specialty restaurant concept Ocean Grill. Fathom also unveiled more details about its variety of onboard recreational activities.
Award-winning veteran chef and renowned Dominican Republic culinary expert Chef Emil brings to Fathom a lifelong passion for food and vast hospitality industry dining experience. Emil has earned a global reputation as a celebrated food innovator who brings a modern aesthetic to traditional Dominican Republic cuisine, inspiring culinary creations that add a perfect touch to Fathom’s onboard food offerings.
Sample Ocean Grill Dishes include:
- Grilled Seafood Salpicón – Grilled octopus, calamari and shrimp served cold with Caribbean mojito vinaigrette and crispy yaniqueque
- Cuban Ropa Vieja – Deep-fried plantain basket filled with Cuban-style shredded beef served with a spicy red pepper jam
- Mofongo and Aguají – Traditional mash of roasted pork belly, green plantain and garlic served with spicy mayonnaise
- Pescado con Coco (Fish Criollo and Coconut) – Fillet of fresh red snapper in an authentic island coconut sauce, served with clams, shrimp and yucca fritters
- Vegetarian Pastelón – Layers of ripe plantain, queso fresco and sautéed spinach served with roasted vegetables and spinach sauce
- Bistec Encebollado – Seasoned beef filet with caramelized onions, yucca fritters, sweet plantain and chimichurri salsa
- Dulce de Leche Cortada – Dominican sweet caramel milk curds with vanilla and salted caramel ice cream and yucca dumplings
- Guava n’ Cheese – Guava paste with queso fresco and roasted gustoso pepper syrup
- Majarete Crème Brûlée – Classic Cuban sweetcorn custard served with corn caramel and cinnamon, caramelized popcorn and sweet potato biscuit
In addition to the many culinary delights found onboard, guests can participate in many engaging onboard impact workshops, dance and cocktail classes, and various leisure activities and entertainment options while preparing for their unforgettable on-ground experience. They also may treat themselves to one-of-a-kind products – from artisan crafts to hand-crafted jewelry to sustainably produced attire to environmentally friendly beauty products – at Fathom’s exclusive retail outlets featuring products with a purpose.
Fathom’s core onboard programming includes fun, interactive and educational sessions with Impact Guides, the first people Fathom travelers meet when they board the MV Adonia.
Additional core onboard programming includes:
- Dominican Republic Orientation
Fathom helps travelers become acculturated to life in the Dominican Republic so they may experience their time on-ground with a sense of “comfortable discomfort” within this new environment.
- Story of You
In this workshop, travelers identify a moment of transformation in their lives and work through the components that make a great story. They learn how powerful their life story is and practice the tools to help them tell their story in a clear and meaningful way.
- Story of Impact
This activity helps travelers create and express their story as a specific “before and after” transformation based on their week on-ground in their destination. Interactive exercises practice story creation methodologies so travelers disembark their journeys with a sense of confidence in sharing their stories.
- Story Circle / Story of You 2.0
Travelers are introduced to ways to make their stories more powerful. They share stories in front of small groups who give facilitated feedback, and they also receive tips on how to speak powerfully in front of others.
- Guided Relaxation
Guided Relaxation, also referred to as Yoga Nidra, provides travelers time to rest, relax and clear their minds following the day’s stimulation.
- Fathom You and Beyond
This final session with each Fathom cohort provides moments of reflection, ways to engage in next steps and resources for further impact.
Once Fathom travelers arrive in the Dominican Republic, they have a wide variety of options for how to spend their three days on the island. They can choose from a variety of activities, including participating in social impact projects, enjoying the many beautiful Dominican beaches or participating in select recreational activities and tours available to the entire family of Carnival Corporation brands operating in the Caribbean region.
Prices for the seven-day trips to the Dominican Republic in its inaugural year start at $499 per person, excluding taxes, fees and port expenses and including all meals on the ship, onboard social impact immersion experiences, three onshore social impact activities and related supplies. Prices vary by season. To secure a spot on future sailings, a fully refundable $300 per person deposit is required for all cabin categories and occupancy levels. Final payment is due 90 days prior to departure.
You can browse the latest cruise deals from Fathom right here.