Beverage packages are a big deal on a cruise. What you will drink; how much; and, how often are questions veteran cruisers plan before they board the ship. Most cruise lines offer sets or packages to make sure you are hydrated by your beverages of choice for the duration.
Carnival Cruise Lines has an all-inclusive beverage program called CHEERS! Let’s examine it.
CHEERS! Includes alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks at a per person per day flat rate. You must be 21 years of age and up to purchase. Every adult in your stateroom/cabin must also purchase the package.
The general categories included in this Carnival drink package:
- All spirits priced $50USD or lower per serving, including frozen cocktails
- Sodas, juices, energy drinks
- Specialty coffees and teas
- Milkshakes, smoothies
- Bottled water
- 25% discounts on other sizes, prices, and locations not covered in the package
For each of these inclusions, be sure to check the specifics on Carnival’s official info page since sizes and other restrictions may apply. Also view the list of exclusions: souvenir drinks, bottles of liquor, room service, self-serve stations, mini-bars, and others. Otherwise, you could face an unpleasant surprise on your final bill since these exceptions will be charged to your account.
If you pre-purchase online, the cost is $49.95 per person per day plus a 15% gratuity for the duration of the cruise. Note that the final moment this price is available will be at 10 PM EST on the night prior to the ship’s departure.
If you wait to signup onboard, the cost is about $5 per person per day higher with the same additional costs and rules (as of this publication).
Be aware that voyages to some areas of the world (Europe) may carry a VAT (additional tax) per package. Also, there are certain port restrictions and rules you can find on the official CHEERS! page.
- You must pay for the entire cruise (per day purchases not allowed).
- Refundable only if pre-purchased and only until 10 PM EST on the evening prior to departure.
- Only single drink orders allowed (no sharing).
- The maximum number of drinks per 24-hour period (6AM-6PM) is 15.
- Drinks in port can carry a sales tax.
- Your Sail & Sign card will identify your use of CHEERS!
- Carnival can refuse service for any reason.
- CHEERS! is not available on two-day cruises; ships sailing from Australia; charters; or a couple of locations in The Bahamas
Is the CHEERS! Beverage Package a deal
It depends on your level of drinking (in the hydration sense – not just the party sense!). Below are some advertised USD prices for common beverages per glass. Add up what you’ll likely consume, and simply do the math. (Keep in mind that every adult in a stateroom must purchase the CHEERS! package or no one can.)
- Soda – $2.25
- Water – $1.25 – $5.00
- Other non-alcoholic beverages (iced tea, energy drinks, so forth) – $2.00 – $5.00
- Beer – $5.00 – $7.95
- Wine – $5.95 – $12.50
- Mixed cocktails – $8.25 – $12.95 (well drinks to call drinks)
- Spirits – $6.25 – $17.00 (well drinks to call drinks)
Carnival also has a beverage package for non-alcoholic drinkers called “Bottomless Bubbles”. It’s for unlimited fountain soda and juice; not water.