Most cruisers need to book a hotel near their cruise port for a night’s stay either before or after their cruise. We’ve compiled the ultimate guide to the best hotels near U.S. cruise ports.
Listed by price, we’ve picked hotels for every budget and included relevant shuttle info. You’ll also find links to more comprehensive articles if you don’t find exactly what you want in our top three.
In This Article…
- Miami, Florida
- Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florda
- Port Canaveral, Florida
- Tampa, Florida
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Mobile, Alabama
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Galveston, Texas
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Cape Liberty, New Jersey
- Brooklyn, New York
- Manhattan, New York
- Los Angeles, California
- Long Beach, California
- Seattle, Washington
There are plenty of hotels to choose from near PortMiami which incidentally is the busiest cruise port in the world! Miami cruise port is just 2 miles from downtown Miami if you want to enjoy shopping, dining and nightlife. It’s 8 miles from Miami International Airport.
Many hotels in Miami offer complimentary airport and cruise port shuttles so you’ll get full value from these top cruise hotels in Miami with shuttle service.
- Runway Inn is located 6.5 miles from the port in Miami Springs ($)
- Holiday Inn Downtown Miami is just 1 mile from the port ($$)
- The historic Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables is 11 miles from the port ($$$)
Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florda
Choose hotels in Fort Lauderdale near Las Olas. It’s the hub of shopping, dining and nightlife and you’ll be close to the beach too! When it comes to your cruise departure, Port Everglades is about 3 miles south of the city and 4 miles northeast of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport so everything is within easy reach.
Why not stay an extra night and enjoy an airboat tour in the Everglades National Park? You’ll see some of the toothy residents up-close in their native environment. After all, this slow-moving “River of Grass” gave its name to Port Everglades!
- Close to Sawgrass Mills Outlet Shopping Mall, the Sawgrass Inn and Conference Centre is a 10-minute taxi ride from the port ($)
- Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport with shuttle to airport and cruise port just a mile away ($$)
- Right on the waterfront, the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina has cruise-worthy views and a cruise shuttle! ($$$)
Port Canaveral, Florida
Close to Cape Canaveral on Florida’s Space Coast, cruisers can combine a stay in a Port Canaveral hotel with an unforgettable visit to the Kennedy Space Center. Hotels on Cocoa Beach are less than 5 miles from the cruise terminal so your cruise vacation begins the moment you check-in at one of these hotels!
They all offer shuttle transfers to and from the cruise port and some have all-inclusive Park and Cruise packages at very affordable prices.
- Ramada Inn Titusville offers park and cruise packages with free shuttle 23 miles from the cruise port ($)
- Homewood Suites by Hilton is located on Astronaut Blvd just 2 miles from Port Canaveral ($$)
- Enjoy the upscale amenities at Residence Inn by Marriott on the beautiful Banana River ($$$)
Located on Florida’s Gulf Coast, Tampa has plenty of hotels catering for cruisers, business visitors, and vacationers. Easy to reach from I-4, Port Tampa Bay cruise terminal is 9 miles from the airport via I-275. For convenience, hotels in historic Ybor City and downtown are less than a mile from the port. We’ve picked 3 cruise hotels that all have a shuttle service too!
- Quality Inn Airport – Cruise Port has competitive room prices, free breakfast and airport/cruise port shuttle ($)
- Hampton Inn Downtown is 0.2 miles from the cruise port ($$)
- Enjoy waterfront views at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk ($$$)
Jacksonville Port is a huge container port in a commercial area so most cruise hotels are at least 5 miles away. The cruise terminal is 11 miles from the shops, restaurants, and nightlife in Downtown Jacksonville and 12 miles from Jacksonville (JAX) airport so you’ll need to arrange transport.
Choosing one of these hotels with shuttle service makes good sense and ensures a smooth transition to your cruise ship for check-in.
- Econo Lodge includes a free breakfast and shuttle to airport and cruise port. ($)
- Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park has good amenities and excellent reviews ($$)
- Spoil yourself at the Doubletree by Hilton Jacksonville Airport which has a cruise shuttle service ($$$)
The cruise port in Mobile is located in downtown on the Mobile River just a short distance from the Gulf of Mexico. There are plenty of well-located hotels within walking distance of the cruise port (if you have minimal luggage) and in the heart of the attractions, restaurants and nightlife that Mobile has to offer.
- For a comfortable room at a low price the Quality Inn Downtown ticks all the boxes ($)
- Stay in a restored historic mansion at Fort Conde Inn just 4 minutes’ walk from the cruise terminal ($$)
- With river views and Park and Cruise packages, the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza is a top choice ($$$)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Enjoy a pre- or post-cruise stay at a cruise hotel in New Orleans and sample the unique history, culture and cuisine in this colorful Mardi Gras city. Some hotels are within walking distance to the cruise port while others offer a shuttle transfer.
- Comfort Suites Harvey in NOLA West is 8 miles from the cruise port but does have a cruise shuttle service ($)
- Springhill Suites Downtown offers extra space and is 0.1 miles from the cruise terminal ($$)
- Maison St Charles is an upscale boutique hotel in the leafy Garden District of NOLA ($$$)
Galveston cruise port is one of the oldest ports on the Gulf of Mexico and is the 4th busiest cruise port in the USA. Most hotels close to the port are on Galveston Island, a beach-lined barrier island with a relaxed vacation atmosphere.
- Budget-friendly Mariner Inn is a well-located cruise hotel in Galveston close to downtown attractions with superb views ($)
- Located on Pier 21 in Galveston Wharf, Harbor House Hotel and Marina has stunning bay/port views ($$)
- Hotel Galvez and Spa Wyndham Grand is an upscale ocean-front hotel right on Galveston Seawall Blvd ($$$)
Charleston, South Carolina
Discover the best hotels to stay in Charleston before or after your cruise. Some are just a short walk from Waterfront Park and the cruise terminal while others offer Park and Cruise packages and/or shuttle transfers. Take your pick from these!
- Sleep Inn Mt Pleasant is 4.5 miles from the cruise port so you’ll need a taxi/Uber to reach the port ($)
- Holiday Inn Riverview has gorgeous room and superb views of the harbor and cruise ships ($$)
- The Vendue Art Hotel is frequently listed as one of the Top Hotels in Charleston and is a fabulous hotel for art lovers ($$$)
The Cruise Maryland Terminal at Port of Baltimore is just 4 miles southeast of downtown. Wherever you choose to stay in the city, you’ll only be a short transfer from the cruise terminal. With the Arts District, museums and the National Aquarium you’ll have plenty to see and do!
- Comfortable and modern, the budget Holiday Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor is close to the port ($)
- Upgrade to the Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor just 2.4 miles from the cruise terminal ($$)
- The luxury Sagamore Pendry Hotel Fell’s Point promises an unforgettable stay! ($$$)
Cape Liberty, New Jersey
Cape Liberty is a popular cruise port in Bayonne, New Jersey with many suitable hotels for pre- and post-cruise stays.
- Hotel Executive Suites is easy on the wallet by it is 17 miles by taxi to the port ($)
- The elegant Victorian B&B Staten Island is the closest hotel to Cape Liberty cruise port ($$)
- The Newark Liberty Airport Marriott is an unforgettable luxury hotel with cruise and airport shuttle by arrangement ($$$)
Brooklyn, New York
There are hundreds of hotels around New York city for you to enjoy a stay in the Big Apple before departing on a cruise from Brooklyn cruise port. Prices are higher closer to the sights of Manhattan but there are plenty of bargains just 2 miles from the port.
- Comfort Inn Prospect Park is a beautiful hotel surrounded by restaurants in Brooklyn ($)
- Doubletree New York Donwtown is surprisingly affordable with a central Manhattan location ($$)
- Wagner at the Battery Hotel has incredible views of New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty from its Manhattan location ($$$)
Manhattan, New York
Manhattan cruise terminal is a popular departure point and there are many hotels within a mile of the terminal. Combine a cruise with a stay at an iconic hotel in New York City and see Times Square, Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building during your pre-cruise visit.
- Yotel New York offers modern rooms filled with high-tech gadgets including a robotic luggage concierge called Yobot! ($)
- The Skyline Hotel is just 15 minutes’ walk from the Manhattan cruise terminal ($$)
- Mayfair Hotel is a charming place to stay close to Times Square and Gershwin Theatre ($$$)
Los Angeles, California
If you’re flying into Los Angeles for a cruise you’ll probably want to stay a night or two in the city. All 3 hotels listed below offer a shuttle service to the cruise port which provides added value to your stay.
- Best Western Plus San Pedro is a popular hotel for cruisers, just one mile from the terminal with a convenient shuttle service ($)
- Another San Pedro favorite, Pacific Inn and Suites is 3.5 miles from the port ($$)
- Beautiful beaches, rolling surf and ocean views are on the doorstep of the 4-star Hyatt Centric the Pike ($$$)
Long Beach, California
Just along the coast from Los Angeles World Cruise Center and port is Long Beach cruise terminal. Home of the historic Queen Mary, this port is mainly used by Carnival Cruise Lines. Take your pick of waterfront hotels to stay at before or after your cruise.
- Inn of Long Beach budget hotel has a pool and is just 1.2 miles from the cruise port ($)
- Sleep aboard the Art Deco Queen Mary for a unique cruise stay just 0.1 miles from Long Beach cruise terminal ($$)
- For those who can’t wait to get out on the water the Dockside Boat and Bed offers B&B on a private luxury yacht moored at Long Beach! ($$$)
Seattle cruise port is the leading hub for cruises to Alaska. Extend your amazing cruise with a sightseeing stay in a Seattle hotel near the port. Visit Pike Place Market and the Space Needle or take a boat trip around scenic Puget Sound.
- La Quinta Wyndham Sea-Tac Airport is a little out of town but very convenient for cruisers flying to and from Seattle ($)
- Boasting amazing views from its location on Pier 67, the Edgewater Hotel is a prime hotel for cruisers ($$)
- Located inside historic Pike Place Market, the Inn at the Market is the #1 hotel in Seattle and just 0.7 miles from Bell St cruise terminal ($$$)
We hope our round-up of cruise port hotels has helped you find the perfect place to stay before or after your cruise. See you next time!
Port Miami is the world’s busiest cruise port handling 5.6 million cruise passengers in 2019.
You should definitely book a hotel near the cruise port before arriving. Each cruise ship can carry up to 4000 passengers, many of whom will want to stay the night before departing on their cruise. The demand for good hotels near the port can be high on changeover days so you need to book well ahead.